Little Bear Westsail 32 refit: Out with the old! Blog #129

Arrrrr me hearties. Welcome aboard.

This post should have come before the previous post but in a fit of air-headedness, I got them reversed. Ces’t la vie.

I got the old zinc’s off, and I took out the old speed-log through Hull. I tried to remove the thru-hull elegantly and properly but it proved to difficult for culture and class. So, I resorted to a small sledge and smashed it out. 😀 When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

As always fair winds, following seas, and God bless.

Little Bear Westsail 32 refit: Removing old backing plates Blog #91

Arrrrr me hearties. Welcome aboard.

Day 10 of the intensive refit project. Paint prep in the rain. Oh that I could simply move the boat inside the shed – but that’s an expense I don’t want! Masking for paint can be a challenge in the best of weather. It’s raining and I thought the project would be even more difficult. But happily, such was not the case. The expensive 3M tape I was using didn’t care that it was raining and we powered ahead in spite of the dampness.

I also tried a new product – Nashua tape. It’s a metalic type tape that was recommended to me by a guy here at the shop. The stuff is quite awesome.

As I was working inside for the most part I did a bit of wood work too. Here’s how it played out…

As always fair winds, following seas, and God bless.

Little Bear Westsail 32 refit: Removing old backing plates Blog #90

Arrrrr me hearties. Welcome aboard.

Day 9 of the intensive, go-hard, get the refit done push on the project.

The time has come to prep the boat for paint. I started by cleaning the work area. Then I sanded all fairing material off. After that, I started masking. I had a bit of trouble with the tape. It was very frustrating. I ended up buying cheaper tape that worked better. Late in the afternoon I got a coat of primer (pre-kote) applied. Very satisfying to see the old girl coming back to life. It’s taking longer than I had hoped but I can only blame myself as I am the boss, crew, and pay-master. 😀

As always fair winds, following seas, and God bless.

Little Bear Westsail 32 refit: Backing plate / flange installation Blog #85

Arrrrr me hearties. Welcome aboard.

This is day four of a two week intensive push on the refit. Today I get the new backing plates prepped for installing the flanges for the seacocks.  This was a fairly straight forward project that was a bit time-consuming  but satisfying to get done.  This is also the first project that I drew blood on. It shows in the vid.

Two of my backing plates / through hulls didn’t line up like I had planned. Perhaps I was tired when I set the epoxy or when I put the bolts thru the things shifted a bit. Nevertheless I had to use my dremel to open up the holes just a tad so that the through-hulls would sit flat and properly.

 

As always fair winds, following seas, and God bless.

Little Bear Westsail 32 refit: Day 2 Backing Plate Advenrues Blog #83

Arrrrr me hearties. Welcome aboard.

More fun with backing plates. The plates already have holes drilled in them to align with the flanges on the seacocks. But the hull needs to be drilled to accept the bolts that go through the plates and flanges. I drilled through the hull using the plates as a template. Once the drilling was complete I cleaned up the surrounding fiberglass in preparation for mounting the new plates. I used a mixture of epoxy resin and filler to create a paste with which I used to fasten the plates to the hull. I used the through hulls themselves to align everything. It worked out very nicely.

I don’t have all the plates ready but I installed what I had.

As always fair winds, following seas, and God bless.

Little Bear Westsail 32 refit: Seacock Prep Pt. 2 Blog #82

Arrrrr me hearties. Welcome aboard.

This is Day 1 of what became 2 weeks worth of intensive full-on work. I usually work in the evenings after my day job and on weekends. But I have a load of vacation to burn off and if I can’t go sailing I might as well burn it off getting the boat ready for sailing.

A few other projects can not be undertaken until the seacocks / through hulls are in, so this is the first project that I’ll take in hand. My preparation and planning worked out very well and I managed to get the plates installed easily and acurately. This is one project that I had considered skimping on but didn’t. Boy! I’m glad I didn’t the old plates & thru-hulls were in very bad shape and really needed to be replace. I’ll be able to sail confidently knowing that everything is very skookum (sea-worthy) on the boat.

As always fair winds, following seas, and God bless.

Little Bear Westsail 32 refit: Seacock Prep Blog #81

Arrrrr me hearties. Welcome aboard.

At this stage of the game I don’t have all the backing plates in hand. The company I bought the G-10 from has kindly supplied me with a piece from which I can cut the remaining plates. However, in the mean time I can do a test fit with what I have. It worked out fairly well.

You might be interested to know that the tool I’m using to screw in the through hulls is custom made. Thanks to my friend Ken. I know you, and by ‘you’ I mean me, can purchase a step-wrench for the purpose, but they’re expensive and I’ll only be using it this one time. So my friend who had some scrap that fit took a couple of minutes to weld up a nice solution. 😀

As always fair winds, following seas, and God bless.