Little Bear Westsail 32 refit: Glass & Biley wiring Blog# 147

Arrrrr me hearties. Welcome aboard.

More bilge pump wiring, and more liquid joinery.

Some discussion about the price of electronic parts. Quite ridiculous. Obscene even. But it is what it is and if I want to get things done and done nicely, it’s going to cost a bit.

 

 

As always fair winds, following seas, and God bless.

Little Bear Westsail 32 refit: Glass & Bilgey Blog# 146

Arrrrr me hearties. Welcome aboard.

Some more lovely liquid joinery. I just love working with epoxy. Oh the wonders of modern chemistry.  It makes all-thumbs schlubs like me able to fix things.

Good thing I have a background in electronics.  It’s been many years since I sat at a workbench and wired things up but that training has served me well here on Little Bear.

I did get the pump & switch installed and gave it a test run. It’s fun to see water shooting out of the boat. Like it has to take a pee or something.

 

 

As always fair winds, following seas, and God bless.

 

Little Bear Westsail 32 refit: Plugging holes Blog # 141

Arrrrr me hearties. Welcome aboard.

So many projects, such little time. Actually, I have all the time in the world. If I don’t mind spending all my time doing DIY projects on the boat.

I continue working on the wiring making sure that it works while keeping it neat at the same time. Now there’s a challenge.

The time has come to fill the holes in the bulwarks. Due to the foam and ceiling I was unable to access the top nuts on the chain plates when I removed them. So the simplest solution was to cut 1″ holes and access the nuts that way.  Well the chain plates have been back on the hull for quite some time and the wasps haven’t made nests in there yet this year, so in a pre-emptive strike against the wasps, I decided to fill those holes.

I made some plugs with some G10 I had left over from doing the backing plates for the through hulls. I then used some thickened epoxy to ‘glue’ them in pace. I’m happy with the result.

As always fair winds, following seas, and God bless.

Little Bear Westsail 32 refit: Tiller Rebuild Blog #137

Arrrrr me hearties. Welcome aboard.

Rebuilding the tiller was a couple of days worth of work. First I had to deal with the delamination problem, then I sanded it down and gave it a coat of epoxy to protect it from the weather.

As always fair winds, following seas, and God bless.

Little Bear Westsail 32 refit: Tiller project Blog #136

Arrrrr me hearties. Welcome aboard.

The tiller on board Little Bear is a beautiful piece of wood. Unfortunately, time & weather have taken their toll. The tiller has actually delaminated.

It would not do to go to sea with a defective tiller, so I take the time to rebuild it and make it strong again.

As always fair winds, following seas, and God bless.

Little Bear Westsail 32 refit: Bowsprit Platform on! Blog #132

Arrrrr me hearties. Welcome aboard.

This episode is all about getting the platform installed and aligned. There was a bit if a curve-ball I had to deal with but nothing that liquid joinery didn’t take care of! Oh the wonders of modern technology & chemistry.

The one part of this job that I wish I didn’t have to do was to take off the forestay. But the bowsprit pulpit won’t go back on with the forstay / furler in place. So, off it came.

The biggest challenge was to drill the holes for the support blocks and get them aligned. I explain in the video where you can actually see what I’m describing.

As always fair winds, following seas, and God bless.

Little Bear Westsail 32 refit: Bowsprit Platform Prep Blog #131

Arrrrr me hearties. Welcome aboard.

After leaving everyone hanging in regards to how I expanded the thru-hull hole, I reveal the mystery of how I did it. A simple enough tactic and it worked very well.

The next project is to get the bowsprit platform mounted on the bowsprit. Without the platform, sail management at the front of the boat would be a very scary proposition. So, the platform must be reinstalled. The teak for the platform was in very rough shape when I took it off. Previous episodes show how I repaired & restored the wood. I’m glad I put the effort into restoring it. Teak is beautiful wood and holds up well in the maritime environment.

The first thing I did was to epoxy the G10 brackets I made into place. They are probably a bit redundant as they are an addition to the sprit that wasn’t there when I bought the boat. But considering that the platform is fairly thin compared to what the plans call for, I feel better having them in place. Stronger is better, in this case.

The sail maker came by while I wasn’t here to measure the boat for sails. This may prove to be an issue later on.

As always fair winds, following seas, and God bless.