Little Bear Westsail 32 refit: Seacock B Gone! Blog #68

Aaarrrrrrrr me hearties, welcome aboard!

Now that the chore of recessing the thru-hulls has been done it’s time to remove the seacocks too.

Oh the best laid plans of mice and men. This project turned out to be a wee bit more awkward and difficult than I had anticipated. Welcome to boat land, eh? I lost a wrench and a ratchet with socket under the cabin (head) sole. I retrieved them with a rare earth magnet tool. I tried various methods to get the screws out and the most effective was to simply drill them out. I even learned something about metal; bronze is a soft metal but is abrasive so even with the best drill bit, it makes the bit dull really quickly. It took a couple of days to get all the seacocks out, but they’re out. All of them.

I also realized that a previous owner had worked around the problem of long seized seacocks by simply mounting a ball valve on top of the original seacocks. Silly little land lubber!

ONWARD!

As always, fair winds, following seas, and God bless.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.