Little Bear Westsail 32 refit: Wart removal Vlog #37

In this episode I tackle one of the few remaining jobs left to make Little Bear seaworthy.  Ever since I had Little Bear put up on the hard I’ve been wanting to remove the depth sounder transducer. It is ugly, creates drag, and as I discover in this episode, doesn’t even work.

At some point in the past, a PO installed a new ‘through-hull’ depth-sounder transducer but left the old one, the one I call a ‘wart’ intact. I was really unsure about what was underneath the wart and what impact removing it would make. Turns out my fears were unfounded. The wart was an addition to the hull, post-manufacture. I used a sawz-all to remove the wart and it took me all of about 5 minutes to remove it. Getting the old brass fitting out was a bit more problematic. It was a threaded fitting that had been glued in place with devil’s glue.  I drilled the center of it out, and then used the  sawz-all to cut through the wall of the fitting. A hammer and punch then broke the fitting loose and I was able to punch it through from the inside of the hull.

I also discovered that there is a fair amount of water seeping into the boat from the cap-rails. Or, more correctly from the hull / deck joint. At least I ‘think’ it’s from the hull / deck joint. From the look of the storage compartments behind and underneath the settee, the leak has been going on for some time. The old transducer had insulation and some kind of barrier still stuck to it and the inside of the hull looked like someone, at some time, had scraped off insulation inside to get to the source of the leak.

If the leak isn’t from the hull / deck joint, then it will have to be from the rub rail where the screws penetrate the hull. I’ll find out after I seal the hull / deck joint properly. But that’s a project for another day.

I have two more dis assembly type projects to complete: Samson post removal (they’re rotten), and through hull fittings.

All of the through hulls are in non-operable condition. I could probably service them and get them working but I thought I might as well just replace them with modern fittings. I can also remount them flush so as to reduce more under water drag.

Thats it for this installment!

Fair winds, following seas, and God bless!




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.